Blankets are significant products that we use in different parts of life. Their functions are numerous, depending on the size, texture, dimension, or feature that we want it to be. Sometimes we use a blanket to cover the couch in the living room, to wrap ourselves in chilling weather, to have some rest, mediate our bodily temperature, to protect the little ones from outside, or just for decorative purposes. We all have many blankets in our homes, but do we really know their functions?
Blankets types differ mainly depending on the materials and the dimensions; there are numerous blankets in the stores or online. Some of the types of blankets can be listed as knitted, cotton, wool, etc. These are the most popular ones we come across in daily life. In this text, you will find so many alternatives of blankets, and if you are looking for something different but at the same time having the function of a blanket, keep reading; in the end, you will definitely find what you are looking for.
When you simply start doing the research before buying a blanket, you will come across so many types. At this point, this text will help you to find what you really need, or maybe transforming the large blankets into smaller ones for your own purposes, to reconsider what you have in your closets or blanket organizers. In this text, the categorization that I will be making is going to be primarily focusing on the textures of the blankets.
Before moving on to the categorizations, I would like to make a clarification in terms of the expressions that are used for blanket-like products. Speaking of the blanket, on the websites or blogs, you might come across the terms like “comforter, quilt, duvet.” Blankets are pretty often confused with those names because they are all used for similar purposes, and the differences between them are the things that some of us do not even care about. In order to give you some further detailed information about the blanket types, I would like to explain to them one by one.
Differences Between Blanket, Comforter, Quilt, and Duvet
Firstly, the comforter is one of these types that are pretty confused with blankets. As you can see, when you google, they are rather thicker forms of blankets. Comforters are suffused with synthetic fibers or down. They rather have a puffed-up look. We use comforters, especially during the cold season of the year. They cover larger space compared to the blankets, and it is not that possible to use them in living rooms or for outside activities. Comforters are commonly used in North America and in cold areas of the world. The positive aspect of the comforter is that it is generally fluffy and soft, as opposed to the fact that the blanket itches, has such an irritating surface, but the blanket heats up more quickly and heats it up, albeit a small advantage.
Generally, people cover the comforters with an additional layer of fabric that is called a quilt cover set, but we use blankets as they are. If you have a blanket that you commonly use as it keeps you as warm as you wish, and you want to keep it as clean as possible, then you can think about using a blanket cover as well. You can use a quilt cover set for your blankets as well. All you need to pay attention to is the size of the blanket; otherwise, you might lose the blanket in the middle of a large cover. In such problems, my suggestion is sewing the cover and the blanket to each other from the corners. You do not need to do sewing like a sewing machine. Just simple 8 or 9 times thread nailing would be enough for you. If you would like to do one, I suggest you use a thread that is matching with your cover color so that it will not damage the design. The crucial point about the comforter is, the distribution of the in-materials such as cotton, feather, or fiber, are needed to be proper.
Quilts are other products that are often confused with blankets. People use quilts mostly to cover beds because of the decorative functions. This does not necessarily mean that they cannot warm you enough. Quilts are mostly done with a patchwork style. In the patchwork, manufacturers combine different pieces of fabric in harmony with each other. These fabrics can be printed, combined with different colors, designs, etc. If you have a sewing machine, you can produce your own quilt as well.
Quilts have three layers. At the top part, there is the cloth part of the quilt; in this area, you can see the decorative designs. In the middle part, there is a layer that helps to keep you warm. This part can be made of batting or wadding, and the third layer, which is the back part, is woven. If you would like to do a quilt for yourself, you need to attach those three layers to each other properly. Especially the front part requires pretty much creativity. You can express your artistic soul by choosing one of the most decorative quilts.
Thirdly, duvets are the products that are quite similar to the comforters. They are almost the same. Duvet is all covered with a solid color of white and filled with down. As they are all produced in a solid color, you can enrich the decoration by choosing different duvet covers. Also, they would help you to keep your duvet clean. You can wash them whenever you want. The suggested cleaning advice is washing your duvet covers in every one or two weeks. Duvets do not have multiple layers in contrast to the comforter and quilt. It is just filled with some stuff. I do not suggest you use your duvet without a duvet case because you might sweat while sleeping, and in such a case, it would be a lot harder to wash that big piece of bed linen.
Knitted Blanket – You can find many knitted blankets under the title of the afghan blanket as well. Knitted blankets can be of various sizes and designs. There are numerous patterns of doing it. You can knit your own blanket as well. All you need is a knitting needle and a dozen of yarn (the number of yarns depends on the size that you would like to knit). You can use different kinds of yarns for knitting. For example, if you would like to use wool yarns, it would keep you warmer, but also, there are the ones made of cotton, bamboo, etc. You can decide on anything you want; size, texture, color, decoration.
Electric Blanket – If what you want from a blanket is a high level of heat; an electric blanket is the best option for you. In addition to the texture of a blanket that is designed for keeping you warm, electricity support would definitely help you to stay warm. The wires inside the electric blankets are completely harmless. The chances of getting electrocuted are very, very low, so you don’t have to be afraid. Thanks to the electricity transmitted to these wires, you can reach the desired temperature level. Even some electric blankets have the ability to adjust with the control, so you can set the temperature to the level you want, and even though your house is cold as ice, you can reach the temperature thanks to electricity.
Flannel Blanket – Flannel is a very comfy material used for the manufacturing of blankets. It can provide you extra warmth thanks to the fleece layer on it. Especially on chilling days, I totally recommend you to have a flannel blanket. You can have one for your living room, something that can fit your room decoration. For example, if you fall asleep while watching something on tv and wrap yourself with a flannel blanket, you do not need to think about the rest of the night. It would keep you warm enough till you take it off. These blankets are super fluffy, and they would be a great gift alternative for loved ones. For example, on Valentine’s day, you can gift a flannel blanket with a red wine color.
Thermal Blanket – Thermal blankets are very suitable for the ones having warmth optimization while sleeping with a blanket. Thermal blankets are not only used in order to feel super warm while sleeping with it. Those blankets have a very breathable texture so that during the wintertime, you can easily stay warm, but also you can use this product in the summer season as well. While keeping you warm, it will not make you sweat, and this is a very significant feature of a blanket. If you want, you can use this as an extra layer between other bedsheets. This is a convenient product because it is very light and you can take it anywhere with you, and also you can easily wash this product at home. Compared to the other types, it is very easy to take care of this product.
Synthetic Blankets – Synthetic ones are generally made of fibers of acrylic and polyester. These are virgin fibers. The fabric produced within the scope of cellulose obtained from wood pulp is called synthetic fabric. It is produced together with cellulosic yarns prepared by combining them together with fibers as small as a strand of hair. Microfiber synthetic blankets are also quite popular. Synthetic blankets are warm; they keep you pretty warm on cold days but often attract a lot of static electricity and tend to hold hair, dust, and threads. Such blankets are cheaper than other materials, but they wear out quickly.
Wool Blankets – This is one of the most traditional types of the blanket. A wool blanket is the one we most commonly use in our homes. Especially if you are living in a Nordic country, wool blankets are from one of the must-haves in the home. Wool is heavy, hot, and provides excellent insulation while allowing moisture to evaporate, so you can reach the desired temperature level very easily. It’s a great choice if you want a very heavy and warm blanket, but some people are sensitive to wool. Wool will be a bad choice for you if you have an allergic problem such as asthma. If you want to take advantage of the temperature and stay away from the texture, what you need to do is putting your wool blanket into a blanket case. For example, you can put a wool blanket into a cotton sheath. The types of wool blankets that you might come across are merino and alpaca. If you would like to compare these two, alpaca is the best option. It would keep you warmer than merino, and it is more durable.
Cotton Blankets – Another most common blanket type is the one made of cotton. Cotton blankets withstand repeated washing well, which makes them a good choice for those with an allergic condition. They do not scatter feathers around like wool. They have a much softer touch. Depending on the weaving, cotton can be light enough to be used as a summer cover or heavy enough for winter warmth. For those who prefer a green lifestyle and are environmentally conscious, organic cotton blankets can be bought. You can also find alternatives like cotton and linen blend, etc. All in all, they would definitely keep you as warm as you want.
Mink Blankets – These are one of the gorgeous blanket types on this list. This style takes its roots from countries like Korea and China. They are super soft and have a fantastic feature of keeping you very warm. You can buy this for your bedroom. It will absolutely enrich your decoration. Some of those are made of genuine mink fur, but some are made of synthetic fibers. At this point, it’s about your concern on this issue.
Cashmere Blankets – Cashmere is one of the most luxurious products that is used for clothing and home items. This is a very light and convenient product. Despite the lightness, it would keep you warm as much as you wish. Cashmere is gathered from cashmere goat, and because of the thin hairs, it is a wonderful and expensive product, but I would absolutely recommend a cashmere product because you will definitely get what you give.
Recommended Products From the Amazon Website
MATTRESS Water Heated Blanket Water Circulation Heated Faster Heating 20db Overheat Protection Intelligent Safety Constant Temperature (Color: Gray2, Size: 1.82m/70.8″ 78.7″)
This is a fantastic electric blanket that you can have a look at. It has a very elegant color and style, and you can use this product wherever and whenever you want. Right now, let’s get into the further details of this product;
- There are three different size options of this product; 0.9*1.8m / 35.4″*70.8″ 1.5*1.8m / 59″*70.8″ and 1.8*2m / 70.8″*78.7″
- There are two different color options, which are Gray1 and Gray2. Gray1 has a darker design and more patterned. Gray2 has a solid gray design.
- The manufacturer of this electric blanket is MATTRESS.
- The weight of the item is 12000 Grams.
- The water and the electrical parts are set separately. There are no wires that carry electric heating inside the blanket. There is no risk of radiation. There is Bh protection, and this function protects you from overheating and low temperatures.
- There are memory, timing, heating functions. You do not need to hesitate because this blanket will give you enough safety to sleep all night freely.
- This product is recommended especially for pregnant women, elderly, and you can use it for the children to avoid cold weather.
- This blanket has three modes so that you can change according to your preference. There is a remote control function. Also, this is a super-smart blanket so that you can set the timing, such as you can set it till you fall asleep, then it will turn off.
- The material used in manufacturing is very sensitive to your skin. It is made of highly elastic cotton. It will give you a soft touch. Also, it will avoid wrinkles and fading. You can use it during all seasons of the year.
- You can wash this blanket in your machine, and this is a very important feature of such products.
- This machine works as 220V. The manufacturer says that they will provide a 750W transformer, but you should let them know in the ordering process.
- If you are interested in the price, this product costs $501.79.
Chunky Knit Blanket – Super Soft Chunky Knit Throw Blanket for Bed (50×60) – Cozy Throw Blankets – Chunky Knit Chenille Throw Blanket – Blankets and Throws for Sofa Large Throw Blanket (Slate Gray)
This is a very comfy knitted blanket opportunity for those who would like to cover themselves with a thick and fluffy layer of warmth. Right now, let’s get into the details of this product;
- There are two color options for this lovely blanket. The first one is Slate Gray, and the second one is Blush Pink. There are price differences between these two products.
- Slate Gray costs $129.00, and the Blush Pink costs $89.99. At this point, it is up to you to choose the right blanket for you. My recommendation is Gray one because gray is a color that is gender-neutral.
- The fabric type that is used in manufacturing is chenille polyester.
- This product has a solid pattern.
- The manufacturer of this lovely blanket is Hearth & Crate.
- Traditional wool blankets are stiff and scratchy, so this blanket is much better in terms of touch. The yarn of this blanket is quite soft and gives a feeling of luxury.
- Its size is perfect for a throw blanket. The dimensions of the blanket are 50 x 60″; you can use it on your bed, sofa, or chair.
- Thanks to its very convenient material, you will not face the problem of shedding, peeling, or tearing. This is a handmade knitted blanket with a non-shedding feature and hypoallergenic.
- This will be a great gift alternative for your loved ones. You can buy one for a birthday, Valentine’s day, or Christmas.
- The depth of the blanket is 1 inch.
- The item weight is 3.84 pounds.
Roore 5 lb Weighted Blanket for Kids I 36″x48″ I Weighted Blanket with Plush Minky Blue Removable Cover I Weighted with Premium Glass Beads I Perfect for Children from 40 to 60 lb
- To begin with, the dimensions of this blanket are; 05 lb 36″ x 48″. There are two other alternatives; 10 lb 41″ x 60″ and 15 lb 48″ x 72″.
- The color is blue, but it has a very chic design, you can use it for every sex.
- The manufacturer is “Roore,” and it weighs 5 pounds.
- It has a cute and dotted pattern on it.
- This alternative is perfect for children between 40 to 60 lb.
- You can get the value of your money. It comes with an inner blanket and an outer duvet cover.
- There is a two-part construction so that in the time of laundry, you do not need to wash the complete blanket. You can just separate the cover and wash it separately.
- There are heavy glass beads that are equally distributed all inside the blanket, which provides a great distribution of the blanket’s weight.
- The manufacturer gives the guarantee of satisfaction. They have a policy of no questions asked returns.
- If you are interested in the price, this blanket costs only $39.95, and it has a very high rating on the Amazon website.
- Buy This Product Online
fscz Blanket Comfortable Soft Coral Blanket Single Double Thick Warm Double Winter Wedding Blanket 195×230M [Weight 4.5Kg]
Here is a suggestion for turning your bedroom into a great romantic room. This is a very lovely product that you can spread over your bed. Right now, let’s get into the further details of this product;
- The color of this fluffy winter wedding blanket is Red. There are no other color options.
- The dimensions of the product are 195 x 230m. If you have good taste in home design, this will be a great option for you.
- The weight of this item is 4.5 kg. This is one of the heavy ones.
- The manufacturer is Fscz.
- This product gives a chic feeling.
- This is a very versatile product so that you can use it while resting with your family because it is big enough to cover 2 or 3 family members. You can wrap yourself with it while watching a movie, taking a nap, having fun. If you want, you can take this item out for outdoor activities as well for the cold weather, but make sure that you do not carry it on your own; you would need a car for this product.
- In order to lock the heat to keep you warm, there is an intermediate level in the blanket. Raschel method is used while weaving in order to provide a more dense proportion.
- It has a very fluffy touch, a good level of breathability, and a nice thermal performance.
- In case you do not enjoy the product, the manufacturer guarantees a free replacement service.
- If you are interested in the price, this product costs $489.90.
fscz Blanket Plush Blanket Winter Thick Fluffy Nap Blanket Bed Sheet Camel 180×230Cm
Another blanket suggestion that can easily warm up your bedroom is this chic blanket bed sheet. Right now, let’s get into the further details of this product;
- There are three color options for this blanket. These are; Camel, Green, and Red.
- The manufacturer is Fscz.
- The dimensions of this product are 180 x 230 cm.
- If you are a homeowner who enjoys elegant and simple decorative objects, this is an awesome option for you. This blanket is a very chic item for bedrooms.
- This blanket is multi-functional. You can use this for family meetings or gift this item to a new married couple.
- The fabric of this blanket is 100% wool. It is very soft and skin-friendly. The weight of pure wool is 919gr. The more dense the fluff is, then you will stay even warmer. It provides a weight, and it makes it easier to keep you warm.
- According to the manufacturer, this blanket is not easy to fade despite being a wool blanket because the fabric has gone through an intense dyeing and printing process, and pigments had gone under a combination process.
- In case you do not enjoy the product, the manufacturer guarantees a free replacement service.
- If you are interested in the price, this product costs $529.02.
Love Cashmere Moon & Stars 100% Cashmere Throw Blanket Wrap – Natural Multi – Made to Order – Made in Scotland
This is a great product for children. It has a very cute design and a lovely touch. This is an incredible gift for newborns. Right now, let’s get into the further details of this product;
- The dimensions of this product are 37″ wide by 70″ long (94cm wide by 180cm long).
- The weight of this item is 1.98 pounds.
- The color of this product is Natural Multi. There are two sides to this blanket. There is a contrast on the other side. You can flip and use the side you wish.
- The fabric type of this lovely blanket is 100% Cashmere. This is what makes this blanket very precious.
- The weight of this blanket is 0.9 kilograms. As we have discussed in the cashmere part, cashmere is a very light product, and despite the lightness, it would provide a super warm feeling.
- This blanket is handmade, and it is produced in Hawick, Scotland. It is an imported product.
- The way it knitted is double times with Loro Piana cashmere. It is luxurious, warm, thick, and soft.
- You can use this on your sofa as a throw blanket or in the cradle of your baby.
- Thanks to its lightweight, you can use it as a travel blanket. You can take it wherever you want.
- If you are interested in the price, this product costs $595.00.
Prince of Scots Highland Tartan Tweed 100% Pure New Wool Throw (Black Watch)
Here is a very elegant design of a throw blanket. If you are looking for a gift for your man, father, or somebody else, this is a very good gift option. Right now, let’s get into the further details of this elegant product.
- There are six different color options for this product. These are; antique dress Stewart, autumn, black watch (the one you see on the picture), dress Gordon, grey, muted blue dress Stewart.
- They are all the same size.
- The pattern that you see on the surface is tartan.
- The manufacturer is Prince of Scots.
- You can use this blanket at home, outside activities like the beach, picnic, camping, or as an alternative in the car.
- This product is imported from the UK.
- The dimensions of the product are 54 Inches X 72 Inches, which measurements included 3 inches of fringe on each end. (17.83 x 14.29 x 2.8 inches)
- The weight of the item is 1.82 pounds.
- In terms of texture, it has one of the finest wool in the world. This is 100% wool certified by Woolmark as the best quality wool in the world.
- If you have very sensitive skin, due to the wool texture, it might give you a scratchy feeling. You should not expect the softness of the materials like merino or cashmere.
- You can use this to snuggle up yourself, read a book. Also, you can wear this upon your coat outside.
- This is a product that can be an heirloom for your family. It has a very durable, long-lasting characteristic so that you and your family members can enjoy it for a long time.
- By wrapping yourself, you can take the chill off.
fscz Blanket Double-Layer Lamb Soft Padded Warm Winter Coral Fleece Blanket European and American Style Gray 125155Cm
Another blanket that can warm you and your home design is this one. This is an adorable blanket with cute patternings on it. Right now, let’s get into the further details of this beautiful product;
- There are three color options for this cozy blanket. These are brown, gray, and white. The option that you see in the picture is the gray one.
- The dimensions of the product are 125 * 155 CM.
- If you enjoy simple and minimalistic design, this is a very nice blanket alternative for you. It has a European style, simply done color matchings, the ability to give a chic feeling.
- This product is multifunctional. You can use this in family meetings, resting on the sofa. Also, very convenient to use in a car.
- The front side is flannel on the front, and the backside is covered with lambskin. You will love this blanket, especially because of the backside.
- Thanks to this combination of two surfaces, it has a thick design, so it will keep you even warmer.
- It has a delicate softness.
- The fabric has a dustproof performance, thanks to the dyeing and printing processes.
- In case you do not enjoy the product, the manufacturer guarantees a free replacement service.
- If you are interested in the price, this product costs $882.35.