Over time, many of the products we use wear off and worn out. Especially blankets can wear out quickly in this sense. They may lose their texture quality a little more after each wash, or you may accidentally make holes in your blankets or tear them off. The technique you can do to deal with situations like this is very simple; blanket repair.
Blanket repair is the name of the technique used for re-use of old and worn-out blankets. Blanket repair is an excellent alternative if you are thinking about giving a new style to your blanket, or if you would like to repair the blanket instead of putting it to the trash. One of the best things about blanket repair is that there is no single and right way of doing it. There are varieties of alternatives for blanket repair. In this text, you will find many different techniques that you can use for your worn-out blankets. Depending on the tools that you have, you can repair your blanket instead of buying a new one.
What Are the Ways of Doing Blanket Repair?
There are numerous ways of saving your blanket for re-use; the techniques that I would like to recommend are; doing patchwork, dismantling the blanket, stitching technique, applying applique to the blanket, and reproducing it. Before using a method, it is essential to know which characteristic your blanket has and the tools you have for the repair. Other than these, if you are preferably looking for a style option, instead of doing stitching or dismantling, I would suggest you do applique adding or patchwork designs. Now, for further information, you can scroll for the detailed applications of these methods.
Patchwork is the name of the method you can use for fabric materials while doing a repair. It is the name of a technique of covering the holes on the fabric or blanket-like products. This method can be used for repair needs as well as style concerns. For example, if you would like to add some decorative figures to a solid design blanket, or match your blanket with other objects in your room just by adding some more colorful figures on it, you can do patchwork. By doing patchwork, you can save from both time and money. It is a very easy method for fabrics, and all you need is a piece of cloth, thread, and a needle. The application of patchwork is very practical and convenient.
The first thing you need to think about when you’re doing patchwork is what you’re doing it for. If your priority is to enrich the decoration of the place, our suggestion is that you choose the rope and piece of fabric that you will use well. If your home does not have such a piece of fabric, you can go to the haberdashery for this need. It is possible to find many kinds of fabric pieces according to the color and pattern content you want in haberdasheries. On the other hand, if what you want is just a repair and you don’t care much about its design, we can get to work quickly. First, measure the size of the area you will be repairing properly, you can do this with the help of a tape measure.
Firstly, measure the part of the blanket on which you are going to apply your patch, and after doing this, grab the piece of cloth and apply the dimensions that you got from the blanket on it. If your cloth is big enough, you can mark its dimensions with the help of a pencil. You should avoid using a pen because ink leaves stains on the fabrics, that’s why you can use a bar of soap or a pencil. After applying the dimensions, make sure that you are cutting the cloth with an extra 2-3 cm larger dimensions because, in order to have a better-looking patch, we will use a turning in technique.
If you try to sew the cloth you cut directly onto the blanket, you may encounter an unwanted image because the ropes hanging from the edges of the cloth you will probably cut will damage your seam and cause the measure to flow away. At this point, turning in technique can help you immensely. After cutting wider than the actual measurements, neatly determine the lines with the sizes and fold the remaining parts inside. The name of this process is the turning-in method.
By doing turning in to the piece of cloth, you will have a thicker surface to sew and a better-looking part. It will be easier for you to control the fabric because otherwise, it might flow away. If you would like to, you can fasten up the piece with the help of marking needles or a thin thread. When your piece of cloth and thread is ready, you can start attaching two parts to each other. If you want, in order to enrich the decoration, you can do the same thing to the other parts of the blanket as well. It worths repeating, this is not just a way of repairing, but also a great decoration alternative.
After completing these steps, the part of sewing comes. Sewing is an important process, and it would be really helpful for you in daily life. This is the name of a technique mainly used for fabrics by using a thread and a needle while attaching two objects to each other. This technique is especially preferred in the products of hand-made tailoring. This is really valuable specifically on leather products. In our case, instead of changing the clothes you have, or socks, you can just sew them and do not waste money on new ones.
This simple technique can be used in the making of dresses, hats, blanket making, and so on. It can give you the ability to express your creative ideas on the clothes. You can write your name on your own blanket, or if you knit a blanket for a newborn, you can write down his or her name to the blanket by using various sewing techniques, so that you can specialize it for that person. There are so many ways of doing sewing, and I would like to give you some information that you can use for your clothes.
As a type of preparation for sewing, I would like to recommend you an easy way of fixing your piece of the patch to the blanket. You can use the method of basting stitching, and you can temporarily attach the patch to the fabric. Tailors use this method very often before doing the permanent stitching. I recommend this because, after the permanent sewing, you can easily unstitch this temporary thread so that you do not need extra needles to make a fixation or prevent flow ups.
The first type of doing sewing is attaching the clothes with running stitching. This kind of sewing is one of the most basic techniques of sewing. If you want to achieve this kind of sewing, it is to complete your sewing by attaching both fabrics to each other, leaving regular and equal gaps in the needle through which you pass the rope. In doing so, you should pay attention to ensuring that the needle enters both fabrics properly and completes them flat. If you want to use this sewing technique, you can complete this simple model with a very stylish look by choosing a beautiful color rope.
If the process you need to perform is simple or complex, the second type of sewing method that I can recommend is the backstitch. What you need to do for the backstitch process is a sewing technique in which you are supposed to sew two steps forward and one step back. If you can do it properly, you can get a neat appearance, just like a machine sewing, when you finish sewing. It is one of the ideal methods for hand-made stitches that are expected to be performed effectively.
Another suggestion of mine while doing patchwork is the method of catch stitch or cross stitch. Catch and cross types of stitchings are quite similar to each other. They look like little x on the fabric, but on catch stitch, this x rather looks like the two angles of a triangle. They are based on the idea of doing x with a needle. This is a very easy way of doing sewing, and by using contrast colors, you can have a lovely design. Also, only by doing cross-stitching, you can have amazing patterns on your blanket. Cross stitch is very widely used by those people who are making hand-made products. For example, you can make a flower on your blanket. If you would like to do that, there are patterns of doing cross-stitching online. All you need for a cross stitch pattern is different colors of threads.
Slip stitching is a different way of doing patchwork designs. You can use this for combining different parts together. What you need this time to perform this process is a hook. You can apply this process only on wool and knitted fabrics. For example, if you have a knitted blanket and want to attach a piece of knitting onto it, you can use the slip stitch technique. Instead of throwing a loop while doing this, you just need to pass the rope that you fill in the next loop at once. Inserted in the loop, the loop is done and passed directly.
In addition to these, you can use blanket stitching for your sewing process. This type is also known as buttonhole stitching. Blanket stitching is mostly used for the fabrics that are not very thick. This stitching makes them better and it avoids unravels. This type of stitching is visible on the both sides of blanket, and you can use this for thick surfaces as well. It provides also a decorative design.
A straightforward way of doing patchwork style is using a sewing machine, for sure. Sewing machines are very useful products for many kinds of fabrics. This is one of the products that you should have in your home. It would provide stitching varieties for you, and as they are machine-made, those stitches will be very long-lasting. Straight, Zig-zag, Overcast, Blind Hem, Decorative, and Buttonhole types of stitchings are the most commonly used stitching methods that are used in sewing machines. I will add some good quality sewing machines to the Amazon suggestions, so if you would like to have a look, you can buy a good quality sewing machine for your home.
Furthermore, you can use hand overcast type of stitching for your blanket sewing. This is a very easy and well-known method, perfectly suitable for beginners. This type is also called as whipstitch. What you need to do is wrapping the edges of the fabric and sewing them. You can use this technique for appliques, patchworks, or just for decorative purposes.
Also, you can use the method of pinked seam way of finishing. It would be best if you turned in the sides of two fabrics and bring them together, and by doing pinked seam, you can also avoid raveling. Then you should sew them together. People often use sewing machines for this process because they can make more permanent stitches on the fabric.
Finally, a perfect way of both attaching two surfaces to each other and also having a very stylish look on the fabric is using bias tape. Bias tape is a great way of giving decorative look to the blankets. They are 2 or 3 cm thick strpis, with many color options, also have different kinds of patterns. Once you sew these bands on the edge of your piece of fabric, you can repair your blanket’s necessary parts or make it part of the great design. If you use this technique, for example, while doing patchwork, you can create a transition between two different types of fabrics. Creating such transitions will further enrich your design.
Method of Dismantling the Blanket
This method may be preferred as a second alternative after patchwork, but what you need to pay attention to is whether your blanket is suitable for this process. This type of conversion is especially preferred for handmade blankets. If you want to perform this transformation with fabric blankets, you can cut and combine several different pieces of your blankets. You can also complete this connection with the methods I mentioned in sewing techniques.
However, my personal advice is for hand-knitted blankets. In particular, it is very difficult to throw away blankets that are gifts or commemorative objects of our lives. For this reason, you may want to consider repairing your blankets that wear out or get old like this. For example, you can turn a king-sized blanket into a toddler blanket so that you can continue to use it. Knitting is one of the most preferred methods to remove a blanket and start knitting again. You can even turn them into small corner pillows using the appropriate sizes and knitting needles if you would like to.
The Method of Stitching
This method is the most commonly used type of repair, especially for blankets with holes or worn edges. All you have to do is Stitch where the hole is and hide this stitch beautifully. To perform this process properly, you can use one or more of the sewing techniques described above for you. The good part of doing this type of attaching is that you are also going to be a part of the designer of the blanket. You can reflect your own style onto it.
The Method of Applying Applique to the Blanket
This is a great version of giving a very decorative and lovely look to the blanket. There are varieties of appliques that you can find in haberdasheries or online, and attaching them to the blankets are very easy. This is a great alternative while mending the blankets. This option can also be used for clothes or jackets. Even you can cover your whole jacket or jean with numerous appliques you choose. Furthermore, you can make your own applique with the techniques of embroidery or cross-stitch, or just buy them because they are quite affordable. All you should do is attaching the applique to the place of the blanket where you would like to cover, or maybe you can add some more onto it in order to have a total look.
Reproduction of a Blanket
This is the hardest way of doing a repair, but it is important to mention. This one is for those who cannot give up on their blankets, and the style of it. If you can find the right sizes and the types of fabrics that are suitable for this reproduction, I suggest you make your own blanket again. The products that we produce on our own have a special place in our lives, in that sense it might be a great way of adding something to your life that has a great contribution of yours.
If you would like to, you can use the good parts of your old blanket, by doing patchwork. There are many alternatives to produce your own blanket. You can do crocheting, knitting, patchworking, sewing, even you can only use a sewing machine. In order to enrich your design, you can buy bias tapes, or attach appliques.
Suggested Amazon Products That You Can Use For Blanket Repair
Janome HD3000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine with 18 Built-in Stitches + Hard Case
My first recommendation is a sewing machine. Sewing machines are great products that we all should have in our homes. We can use them for any purposes relating to fabrics, jeans, or leathers. Now let’s have a look at the detailed information about this product.
- This sewing machine is the product of a manufacturer called Janome.
- This is an Amazon’s Choice product, so you do not worry about the quality of it. It has a 4.4/5 stars rating with 443 votes.
- It’s only color option is white, and it is made of a material of metal.
- This sewing machine weighs 18.7 pounds.
- If you are interested in the dimensions, the sizes are 10 x 19 x 15 (L x W x H) inches.
- It has a built-in needle threader inside and also a reverse stitch lever.
- There are snap-on presser feet and a foot pressure adjustment.
- There are 18 stitches alternatives that you can use on your fabrics and 1 step buttonhole function.
- Its components are a power cord and foot control.
- If you are interested in the price, this product costs $429.00, and there is a discount currently, so hurry up if you are thinking about buying one.
If you are interested in the product, you can have a look by using the following link; https://www.amazon.com/Janome-HD3000-Heavy-Duty-Machine-Stitches/dp/B00916Y4YM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3ALD2MNZ6XCLN&dchild=1&keywords=blanket+repair+kit&qid=1600264997&sprefix=blanket+repair+k%2Caps%2C331&sr=8-3
SINGER | Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine with 110 Stitch Applications, Metal Frame, Built-In Needle Threader, & Heavy Duty Accessory Kit – Sewing Made Easy
In order to provide another high-quality sewing machine alternative, I wanted to add one more option to the list. This is a perfect sewing machine if you are thinking about buying one. Now let’s have a look at the detailed information about this product.
- This sewing machine is the product of a manufacturer called Singer. Suppose you are familiar with such sewing issues. In that case, you must have known that Singer is a very well known product in this area, and there are varieties of accessories that this manufacturer provides for tailors.
- Out of 2255 global ratings, this sewing machine got a 4.5/5 stars rate, and this is a perfect rate for such a product.
- The color of the sewing machine is grey. This machine can also be an alternative for white color.
- The material that this machine is made of is stainless steel and metal.
- This sewing machine weighs 7.14 kilograms / 15.7 pounds.
- If you are interested in the dimensions, the sizes are 15.5 x 6.25 x 12 (L x W x H) inches.
- You can produce your own elegant and exclusive garments for yourself or as a gift for others.
- There are features of 32 built-in stitches that include 6 Basic, 7 Stretch, 18 Decorative Stitches, and 1 Fully Automatic 1-step Buttonholes. A great composition of stitches for numerous types of sewing and perfect for crafts, home decor, clothing construction, and so on.
- This machine has the quality of high-speed sewing. Per-minute, you can have a maximum of 1,100 stitches so that you can finish up your projects very quickly. Its motor is 60% stronger than the ones that are in comparison. You can even easily sew the fabrics that are heavyweight and thick.
- This package also provides various sewing alternatives such as even feed / Walking Foot for layers of fabric, Non-Stick Foot for leather and vinyl, a 5-pack of Size 16 needles, and a Clearance Plate for thick seams.
- Volts (120V) / Hertz (60)
- Amps (0.7) / Watts (84)
- Other accessories that are included in the package are seam ripper/lint brush, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, all-purpose foot, button sewing foot; spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray.
- If you are interested in the price of this product, this item costs $301.04.
If you are interested in the product, you can have a look by using the following link; https://www.amazon.com/4452-Accessories-Stainless-Stitching-Automatic/dp/B00OZWX100/ref=pd_di_sccai_2/138-3717097-5704566?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OZWX100&pd_rd_r=2d8d27d7-ea16-4fbc-b6f5-7927d66acc36&pd_rd_w=Hv8Cy&pd_rd_wg=M6x96&pf_rd_p=5415687b-2c9d-46da-88a4-bbcfe8e07f3c&pf_rd_r=JJ09NVSNAQV038DF9TK4&psc=1&refRID=JJ09NVSNAQV038DF9TK4
Sulky Rayon Embroiderer’s Dream Collection #2 Original Slimline Thread Storage Box – 40 Wt
In the previous sections, I mentioned the importance of having varieties of colors while doing sewing. I suggest you have many different colors of threads because, in our homes, we use many products with diverse colors, so that it is crucial to have as many threads as we can have. This kit might be very helpful at this point. Instead of buying them separately with different quality, you can have such kind of a full-set thread kit. Now let’s have a look at the detailed information about this product.
- This kit set is produced by the manufacturer called “Sulky.”
- Each kind of spool has 250 yards.
- In the delivery, you do not need to worry about it. It comes with a package in the slimline storage box.
- In this package, you will be able to find one storage box and 104 spools of threads.
- When we have a look at the customer reviews, you will see that this product got 4.9 out of 5 stars, and this shows how good quality this product is.
- If you are interested in the box dimensions, it has the sizes of 4.5 x 16.25 x 16 inches.
- This box weighs 3.99 pounds.
- If you are interested in the price, this product costs $247.37.
If you are interested in the product, you can have a look by using the following link; https://www.amazon.com/Sulky-Embroidery-Slimline-Dream-2-Assorted/dp/B0054SFPAS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=thread+set&qid=1600265109&sr=8-3
Prism by Pieceful Quilter Thread Kit 12wt 12 Large (356 Yard) Spools Aurifil
In addition to the previous one, I wanted to add one more thread kit to set an alternative for you to this list. This kit is composed of the threads with a much different style option. Now, let’s have a look at the details of the product.
- This kit set is the product of the manufacturer called Aurifil.
- The color selection of the set is rather with a mixed design. There is no solid type.
- There is 12 prism collection from Aurifil, and all of them are at a very good quality.
- This kit set is a special collection by Pieceful Quilter, Michele Scott.
- This exclusive thread kit includes 12 large weight spools, 356 yards (225 meters) of each.
- The material of the threads is 100% cotton. This is a premium quilt shop quality thread.
- The package is provided as a convenient case by the manufacturer.
- The rating of the product is 4.4 out of 5 stars.
- This item weighs 1.34 pounds.
- If you are interested in the dimensions, the sizes of the box are 12.3 x 9 x 2.3 inches.
- If you are interested in the price, this kit costs $130.00.
If you are interested in the product, you can have a look by using the following link; https://www.amazon.com/Pieceful-Quilter-Thread-Spools-Aurifil/dp/B010EZ0QWC/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=thread+set&qid=1600265109&sr=8-19
Sewing Kit, 226 Premium Sewing Supplies, 43 XL Thread Spools, Suitable for Traveller, Adults, Kids, Beginner, Emergency, DIY, and Home by Inscraft
Another very crucial thing to add to this list should have been a sewing kit. This looks like a perfect kit for you. In this set, you can find everything you need, not only for blankets, but the things you can use, such as for sewing DIY, sewing a button, or doing mending. Now, let’s have a look at the further details of this product.
- This kit consists of every accessory that you need. There are multicolored threads, nine clips, two-dimension knitting needles, colored buttons with 15 different sizes, and two needle threaders.
- There are 43 good quality spools that are in the size of XL. 5 of those spools are multicolored. For daily purposes, you can use all of them. Also, the manufacturer argues that those threads are very sturdy, it is almost impossible to break them, and they are very reliable on that.
- The fact that you can find all of them in one package makes it quite easy to carry wherever and whenever you want. At this point, if you are interested in the dimensions of the bag, its dimensions are 10.8 * 8 * 1.6 inches. This is a very big size compared to the other products on Amazon. You can have all of the sewings requires in one pack at an ideal size. This size can slip into a briefcase, suitcase, office desk, or even a car. You will always be ready for any kind of emergent sewing situations.
- You can gift this set as a great alternative. This kind of set would be useful for everyone in the family. Especially for frequent travelers, such sets are quite crucial.
- The manufacturer company guarantees your satisfaction. In addition to that, they argue if you do not like the product, you can easily get your money back, or you can have a replacement as you wish.
- This ultimate sewing pack weighs 1.21 pounds.
- If you are interested in the price, this thread kit costs $25.99.
If you are interested in the product, you can have a look by using the following link; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085WPBNRR/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B085WPBNRR&pd_rd_w=bvl5X&pf_rd_p=f0355a48-7e73-489a-9590-564e12837b93&pd_rd_wg=jJvKL&pf_rd_r=A58E2RCQQA54NARN9P13&pd_rd_r=7dc3b053-4de0-4b06-8c0d-a3394a0bec83&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQ1lGRUtaOVE5WjNGJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjUxNjU3RjJQQU5DS0NHSTlZJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNDUwMzMyUTVSNEtOVVAwU0NGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Rui Xia Sewing KIT Repair Set Needles Portable Mini Mending Button Travel Sew Kits
In addition to the previous set, I wanted to provide a good alternative for you. That one was a really good one for the professionals, but if you are a beginner in sewing, you can think about buying a smaller option like this. Now, let’s have a look at the further details of this product.
- The manufacturer is called RuiXia.
- This is a very lightweight and portable sewing kit. You can use this for any kind of emergency situation.
- Here is the list of the products that you will find in this kit; needles, thimble, threader tools, threads, scissors, buttons, seam rippers, and everything else in one place with this ultra-packed kit.
- If you are a beginner, this is the perfect set for you. This kit is a must for all kinds of users, such as kids, adults, elderlies, and pro-users. You can do button replacements, mending of the fabrics, ripping hemline.
- Anybody who needs to do sewing at some point in their lives needs this set. Instead of looking for a tailor just to attach a small piece of cloth, to repair your blanket, or replacing a button, you can be your own tailor and do that thing any time.
- This is a very compact kit that you can take to travels, put into your car for an emergent situation, and an indispensable product of your home.
- This is very handy for all kinds of users.
- If you are interested in the price, this multipurpose and ultimate thread set costs $87.08.
If you are interested in the product, you can have a look by using the following link; https://www.amazon.com/RuiXia-Sewing-Needles-Portable-Mending/dp/B08HN4L66S/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3A5SZ0KWZ7F73&dchild=1&keywords=sewing+kit&qid=1600265151&sprefix=sew%2Caps%2C337&sr=8-13
Patches ZOTONE Cactus Letter Plant Patch Sewing Sequin Patches for Clothing Iron Embroidered Stickers for Clothes DIY Applique for Jeans – (Color: 303)
If you are interested in the product, you can have a look by using the following link; https://www.amazon.com/Patches-Clothing-Embroidered-Stickers-Applique/dp/B07SW6KVP1/ref=sr_1_86?crid=3RR60I3IAMIUQ&dchild=1&keywords=applique+patches&qid=1600265961&sprefix=applique+%2Caps%2C341&sr=8-86
Patches Low Price Applique Space Patch Badges for Clothing Iron On Cheap Embroidered Cartoon Funny Patches for Kids Clothes Stickers
If you are interested in the product, you can have a look by using the following link; https://www.amazon.com/Patches-Applique-Clothing-Embroidered-Stickers/dp/B07SW649CJ/ref=sr_1_91?crid=3RR60I3IAMIUQ&dchild=1&keywords=applique+patches&qid=1600265961&sprefix=applique+%2Caps%2C341&sr=8-91